Sabarmati Ashram (also known as Gandhi Ashram, Harijan Ashram, or Satyagraha Ashram) is located in the Sabarmati suburb of Ahmedabad, Gujarat, adjoining the Ashram Road, on the banks of the River Sabarmati, four miles from the town hall. This was one of the residences of Mahatma Gandhi who lived there for about twelve years along with his wife Kasturba Gandhi.
It was from his base here that Gandhi led the Dandi march also known as the Salt Satyagraha on 12 March 1930. In recognition of the significant influence that this march had on the Indian independence movement the Indian government has established the ashram as a national monument.
Kankaria Lake, formerly known as Hauj-e- Qutb, is the second largest lake in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. It is located in the south-eastern part of the city, in the Maninagar area. It was completed in 1451 during the reign of Sultan Qutb-ud- Din Ahmad Shah II though its origin is placed in the Chaulukya period sometimes. A lakefront is developed around it, which has many public attractions such as a zoo, toy train, kids city, tethered balloon ride, water rides, water park, food stalls, and entertainment facilities.
The lakefront was revamped in 2008. Kankaria Carnival is a week-long festival held here in the last week of December. Many cultural, art, and social activities are organised during the carnival.
SIDI SAIYYED MOSQUE
The Sidi Saiyyed Mosque, popularly known as Sidi Saiyyid ni Jali locally, built in 1572 AD, is one of the most famous mosques of Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. As attested by the marble tablet fixed on the wall of the mosque, it was built by Sidi Saiyyid in the retinue of Bilal Jhajar Khan, general in the army of the last Sultan Shams-ud- Din Muzaffar Shah III of the Gujarat Sultanate.
The mosque was built in the last year of the existence of Sultanate of Gujarat. The mosque is entirely arcuated and is famous for beautifully carved ten stone latticework windows (jalis) on the side and rear arches. The rear wall is filled with square stone pierced panels in geometrical designs. The two bays flanking the central aisle have reticulated stone slabs carved in designs of intertwined trees and foliage and a palm motif. This intricately carved lattice stone window is the Sidi Saiyyed Jali, the unofficial symbol of city of Ahmedabad and the inspiration for the design of the logo of the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad.
The central window arch of the mosque, where one would expect to see another intricate jali, is instead walled with stone. This is possibly because the mosque was not completed according to plan before the Mughals invaded Gujarat.
Adalaj Stepwell or Rudabai Stepwell is a stepwell located in the village of Adalaj, close to Ahmedabad city and in Gandhinagar district in the Indian state of Gujarat. It was built in 1498 by Rana Veer Singh of the Vaghela dynasty of Dandai Desh. It is a fine example of Indian architecture work.
Built in sandstone in the Solanki architectural style, the Adalaj stepwell is five stories deep. It is octagonal in plan at the top, built on intricately carved large number of pillars. Each floor is spacious enough to provide for people to congregate. It was dug deep to access ground water at that level, accounting for seasonal fluctuations in water level due to rainfall over the years.
Jama Masjid (literally Friday Mosque), also known as Jami or Jumma Mosque, is the most splendid mosque of Ahmedabad, built in 1424 during the reign of Ahmed Shah I. Lying in the old walled city, the mosque is situated outside Bhadra Fort area, along the south side of the road extending from Teen Darwaza to Manek Chowk.
The Jama Masjid of Ahmedabad was probably the largest mosque in the Indian subcontinent built in this period. Designed as part of a major plan desired by the Emperor Sultan Ahmed Shah, the mosque is located south of the processional axis that runs from the Maidan-i Shah at the door with three arches, Teen Darwaza.
To the west of the mosque are the tombs of Ahmed Shah I, his son and his grandson, Ahmed Shah's Tomb. Nearby are the graves of the queens and the other wives of the king, Rani no Hajiro.
CALICO MUSEUM OF TEXTILES
The Calico Museum of Textiles is located in the city of Ahmedabad in the state of Gujarat in western India. The museum is managed by the Sarabhai Foundation.
The textiles on display include court textiles used by the Mughal and provincial rulers of 15th to 19th centuries. Also on display are regional embroideries of the 19th century, tie-dyed textiles and religious textiles. The galleries also have exhibits on ritual art and sculpture, temple hangings, miniature paintings, South Indian bronzes, Jain art and sculpture, and furniture and crafts. There are also textile techniques galleries and a library. The museum has played an important role in determining the curriculum taught in the textile designing courses at the prestigious National Institute of Design also located in Ahmedabad.
The items on display are well protected by the museum authorities. The textile are protected from dust, air pollution and fluctuations in temperatures by the trees around the museum complex. The relative humidity inside the museum is also controlled and lights are dimmed between visiting hours to extend the life of the textiles.
GUJARAT SCIENCE CITY
Gujarat Science City, located in Hebatpur, Ahmedabad, is part of a government initiative to draw more students towards education in science. The center hosts an IMAX 3D theatre, an energy park, a hall of science, Planet Earth, an amphitheatre, Life Science Park and dancing musical fountains among others. The center also provides housing for students preparing for science exams. Since 5 years, a program called "Vacation Training Program on Bioresources for school children" is even organised by Science city with the help of government funds to encourage students regarding Bioresources. It is a month-long program for students who gave their SSC exams, each from every district of the state.
As of 2012, Science City is awaiting the opening of a long-anticipated Earth Pavilion - an earth-shaped dome created in 2009 whose goal is to showcase live experiences with natural disasters. The Pavilion will detail each continent and allow visitors to participate in hands-on activities.
VINTAGE CAR MUSEUM
Auto World is a part of one of the most important collections of Antique Vehicles, Cars, Motorcycles, Utility Vehicles, Buggies etc. built byfamily of Shri Pranlal Bhogilal over the last century. It represents several of the greatest marques of cars from all over the world, of all types and ages.
Auto World showcases that time of history when an automobile was not a mere means of transport but a symbol of wealth, power & style; the mighty ceremonial limousines, the romantic convertibles & the snappy Sports Cars, cars specially coach built like Railway Saloons, Horse drawn carriages, Boat tailed Wooden Speedsters, Shooting Brakes-Cars built for the rich & famous.